Founded in 1925, The Junior League of Houston, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
- Have access to a broad range of volunteer opportunities
- Learn more about the community the League serves
- Have the opportunity to network and make lasting friendships
The 2018 – 2019 Provisional Class Application is now available. It is due by 9 p.m. on Monday, January 22, 2018.
- Sponsors: The Junior League of Houston, Inc. has a sponsored admissions process. Two members of the Junior League of Houston must propose a prospective member for admission.
- At least one sponsor must be an active member. The co-sponsor can be either an active or sustainer member. Both sponsors must be in good standing.
- A League sustainer and/or active member may sponsor only one prospective applicant each year.
- Current provisional members are not eligible to sponsor prospective members.
- Age: Prospective members must be at least 23 years of age by Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and not 40 years of age before Sunday, April 1, 2018.
- Residency: Prospective members must have been a resident of Brazoria, Fort Bend, Harris or Waller County for at least one year prior to Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
- Applications will be available on the Junior League of Houston homepage starting Tuesday, January 2, 2018. Applications will be 100 percent online.
- Attend one of two mandatory Prospective Member Open Houses in the JLH Ballroom:
- Thursday, January, 4, 2018, at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 16, 2018, at 7 p.m.
- Applicant and one sponsor must attend the same session.
- The online application submission process will close at 9 p.m. on Monday, January 22, 2018.
To learn more about the work the League does in the Houston community and meet current members, prospective members are encouraged to volunteer at an agency the League supports with volunteers. Most of the agencies with whom the League is involved have volunteer programs of their own in which interested individuals may participate. Click here to access a full listing of the League’s community projects.
Requirements for Provisional Members
– Attend one of the Prospective Member Open House meetings in the winter of the year applying
– Attend Provisional Orientation
– Education meetings
– Engagement events
– Agency visits
– Community placement (and training)
– Tea Room placement (and training)
– General meetings
– Special Events Teams (SETs)
– Pay provisional dues of $325 (dues include The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI) dues and Tea Room uniform cost)
– Complete Provisional Course Evaluation
All components of the provisional course are mandatory
Transfer Membership from Another League
If you have recently moved to Houston and are interested in transferring your Junior League membership to the Junior League of Houston, please contact your current League and ask them to transfer your membership to the Junior League of Houston via the AJLI (Association of Junior Leagues International) e-Transfer system. All transfer requests are processed through the AJLI online system. You will receive an email confirmation from AJLI that your transfer has been processed. Once your transfer is either initiated or approved by the transferring League, the Junior League of Houston will mail you a transfer packet. The forms in this packet must be returned, along with any required dues, before your transfer is considered finalized.