Founded in 1925, The Junior League of Houston, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
- Have access to a broad range of volunteer opportunities
- Learn more about the community the League serves
- Have the opportunity to network and make lasting friendships
- Sponsors: The Junior League of Houston, Inc. has a sponsored admissions process. Two members of the Junior League of Houston must propose a prospective member for admission.
- At least one member of the Sponsoring Team must be an active resident member. The other member of the Sponsoring Team may be a provisional, active (including fall transfer members) or sustainer resident member. Both sponsors must be in good standing.
- A member may serve on up to two Sponsoring Team(s) each year.
- A member of the Sponsoring Team must attend an Open House with their prospective member.
- Age: Prospective members must be at least 23 years of age by Thursday, January 2, 2020 and not 40 years of age before Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
- Residency: Prospective members must have been a resident of Brazoria, Fort Bend, Harris or Waller County for at least one year prior to Saturday, February 1, 2020.
The 2019 – 2020 Provisional Class Applications closed on Monday, January 28, 2019. Applications for the 2020 – 2021 Provisional Class will be available online from Monday, October 28, 2019 through Monday, January 27, 2020. The application process is completely online.
PROSPECTIVE MEMBER ENGAGEMENT EVENTS
New for 2019! This year we are offering two engagement events for anyone interested in joining the Junior League of Houston. These events will give prospective members a chance to meet other women interested in applying for membership with the League. Additionally, members of the Junior League will be available to answer questions about the admission process and the League in general in a fun environment.
If you are interested in attending either of these events, or have any other questions about the admissions process, please contact Admissions Chairman Anne Sears at email@example.com.
Volunteer Event at Books Between Kids: Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Come experience a volunteer shift at one of the League’s Community Projects, Books Between Kids! Books Between Kids is the only nonprofit in Houston solely dedicated to providing low income elementary age children with access to books in order to empower them to read and learn. Volunteers will count, sort, pack, and label books in order to prepare for the “book celebrations” in the Houston I.S.D. and the Humble I.S.D. in the Spring.
Happy Hour Event at Kirby Ice House: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Join the admissions team at Kirby Ice House for a happy hour and get to know other prospective Junior League members! Situated on one acre of land, Kirby Ice House features 53 beers on tap, as well as a full bar for craft cocktail and wine lovers. Food trucks are available on site. All patrons must be at least 22 years old.
Space for both of these events is limited so make sure to reserve your spot by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the work the League does in the Houston community and meet current members, prospective members are encouraged to volunteer at an agency the League supports with volunteers. Most of the agencies with whom the League is involved have volunteer programs of their own in which interested individuals may participate. Click here to access a full listing of the League’s community projects.
Requirements for 2020 – 2021 Provisional Members
– Attend one of the Prospective Member Open House meetings. These are scheduled for Thursday, December 5, 2019, and Wednesday, January 15, 2020, at 7 p.m. in the Ballroom at the League building.
– Attend Provisional Orientation
– Education meetings
– Engagement events
– Agency visits
– Community placement (and training)
– Tea Room placement (and training)
– General meetings
– Special Events Teams (SETs)
– Pay provisional dues of $325 (dues include The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI) dues and Tea Room uniform cost)
– Complete Provisional Course Evaluation
All components of the provisional course are mandatory.
Transfer Membership from Another League
If you have recently moved to Houston and are interested in transferring your Junior League membership to the Junior League of Houston, please contact your current League and ask them to transfer your membership to the Junior League of Houston via the AJLI (Association of Junior Leagues International) e-Transfer system. All transfer requests are processed through the AJLI online system. You will receive an email confirmation from AJLI that your transfer has been processed. Once your transfer is either initiated or approved by the transferring League, the Junior League of Houston will mail you a transfer packet. The forms in this packet must be returned, along with any required dues, before your transfer is considered finalized.